Thursday, April 21, 2011

Rational and Hypothesis/Essential Question/Practical Problem

My background with special education really started when I took Sign language. It was a beautiful language and I just couldn’t get enough of it. When I was in ASL 1, 2, and 3 we used to visit the kids at St. Rita’s School for the Deaf a lot. Every time we had a field trip to see them I was in the best mood I have been in months I loved those days and wished everyday I could see those kids. When we first went to visit the kids I would sign every chance I could with the kids, and I got to know them better and the kids were just like you and me. They had a personality, they had boyfriends and girlfriends, and they had a sense of humor you would not even believe.
When I finished all the levels that Sycamore had to offer I was crushed that I couldn’t communicate with the kids I loved so much, but then fate happened. One of my really good friends, Mallory, swam with mental disabled kids once a month at Mason. Because I am a life guard, a swim teacher, and I did water polo, she asked me if I could help her teach swim lessons with her; of course I said yes, because I got to miss school. The first boy I met was Brandon. He didn’t really talk, but I didn’t even care; I would talk and talk forever with him. By the end of the lesson he didn’t want to let go of me. We had such a fun time he didn’t want to leave. Also, in gym class once a week we work with kids with special needs.  I got the craziest one of the bunch, Taaj. Taaj is ridiculous: he loves to flirt with girls, loves to run, and loves to have an audience. One day a week I meet with Taaj and we play games during gym and it was a blast. Well, one day we went on a field trip together to Perfect North; I had the honor of pulling Taaj in the tube the entire day. We went down the hill so many times in the tube by the end of the day when I was pulling him he started to fall asleep in the tube! At the end of the day we all took a group picture and Taaj and I were standing right by each other. He was so tired that while we were taking the picture he was falling asleep on my shoulder while he was standing up! That day was the most fun I have had in a really long time and that was the real moment when I knew that I just had to be a special education teacher.
                I think that other people want to know this information because this is such a big debate is this community that people will want to know about it. Also, in my paper it is straight to the facts. Another reason is everyone wants to help kids learn the best they can. It is already really stressful and difficult on the kids with special needs to be taught and to learn. If we could help them learn the easiest they can it will be an amazing thing for the students.
                What I hope to learn by researching the inclusion rule is to fully understand what way the kids will learn better. When I am a special education teacher I want to learn everything I can to help my students be the best they can be. Also, I want to learn the inclusion rule because now with special education it is what the teachers have to follow in the real world and I want to help myself be ready for when I will teach.
                My essential question is what is the best way for kids’ to learn: inclusion or not. A secondary question is does Sycamore use the inclusion policy the best way they can; if they don’t how can we change it for the better. Another essential question I had was what schools around the area have a good inclusion policy; is Sycamore doing the same? And Finally, What schools around the area don’t have a very good inclusion policy; could we help them out to make them better? I came up with my essential question because Mrs. Chuey was talking about the good old days when inclusion was not happening because it was easier on her kids to learn basic ways to be independent.  I was interested in it and heard stories from her and realized that would be the perfect topic for me. I don’t really think that the questions seem too difficult to answer because everyone has a strong opinion on inclusion on both sides of the argument. On the other hand the secondary questions might be more difficult because it is almost an opinion of which schools do a better job with inclusion. I think the answer to my initial question of if inclusion is helping the students or not, I think that is it really beneficial to the students with disabilities and kids who don’t have disabilities at the same time. I think that it will beneficial to the kids that have disabilities since they are working and learning with kids who will be around them forever, they need to understand and learn how to work with them. I think that this will be extremely beneficial to the students without disabilities because they realize the kids that have disabilities are just like you and me. The kids might need some extra help with learning, but they are just like you and me. The other question I had was that if Sycamore has the best policy possible for inclusion: I think that answer is simple, yes. Sycamore is one of the best schools in the state and they really do care about their students and want them to succeed. I think that they will try to do everything in their power to make kids be the best they can be. In doing this project all I expect to find out if the students will work best: with inclusion or without. I also hope to find out if Sycamore is not doing the best they could be doing and what can we do to change it.

No comments:

Post a Comment